ScreenSounds

Dedicated to reviews and news of music for film, TV and games

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

CD REVIEWS - Duma and Who Gets the House?

Yes, I'm back after vistors and work prevented me making any postings the last couple of days. I suppose it's inevitable I shall miss the odd day or two here and there, but keep coming back, as I aim to make a posting every day if I can. Anyway, I've managed a couple of reviews today, so here goes:-

Duma
Music by John Debney and George Acogny
Varese Sarabande VSD-6701
19 Tracks 40:54 mins

This recent film of a boy and his cheetah boasts suitably African sounding music, with a group of African vocalists enhancing the largely percussion-based score either individually or in tandem. Highlights include the playful Cute Kitten Montage; the percussive choral actioner Land Yacht, which is also given a less than successful rocky remix later on; the menacing action and ultimate triumph of Croc River; and the joyous Freedom. A couple of African vocal numbers bookend the score tracks. I don't know anything about the film but, listening to this album I should imagine the music pushes all the appropriate buttons.


Who Gets the House?
Music by Alan Williams
Silverscreen SMCD 009
21 Tracks 47:45 mins

Again, I know nothing of the film, but this orchestral score from 1999 is of the romantic comedy variety, starting off with the swinging number Evermore, performed by Sinatra clone Patrick Tuzzolino. There follows a chaotic, rhythmic Main Title cue, before the Love Theme is introduced, which is versatile enough to sound decidedly sad in some tracks, and romantic and heartwarming in others. A tango-like rhythm acoompanies Counch Counciling, while another recurring theme, a somewhat subdued little mover crops up on a number of occasions. Photo Montage is particularly heartwarming and Dad Realizes almost spirtual, before the End Credits provides a satisfying reprise of the score's most recurring themes.

As, I've said before, http://www.alanwilliams.com is definitely worth a visit to check out the composer's full range of CDs. Not that I get much time to revisit favourite CDs in my collection, but I would recommend the documentary scores for Mark Twain's America, Lewis and Clark, Kilimanjaro, and Lion of the Americas - all have strong thematic material and some fine incidental scoring; the animations Tiny Heroes, with its strong main theme and The Princess and the Pea, for which Williams provided both score and songs, the latter in collaboration with David Pomeranz; the charming Christmasy score for Santa and Pete; Crab Orchard, with its melodic guitar and piano based score, vaguely reminiscent of SnuffyWalden; and the delightful Television Suites, which features music from no less than five TV films.
I'm looking forward to bringing you a review of the composer's forthcoming release Suits on the Loose, as soon as it's available.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home