ScreenSounds

Dedicated to reviews and news of music for film, TV and games

Thursday, January 28, 2010


CD REVIEW - ARMORED


Armored
Music by John Murphy
La-La Land Records LLLCD 1122 (US)
17 Tracks 40:59 mins

La-La Land Records continue their relationship with English-born composer Johny Murphy with their release of his urban-styled score for the armored transport heist movie Armored, which stars the likes of Matt Dillon, Jean Reno and Laurence Fishburne.
Murphy is quoted as saying: "I really loved doing Armored. It's not often that I get let off the leash to get all my guitars and distortion pedals out and smash it down with the director. I fondly remember director Nimrod Antal screaming at me through the noise 'Louder, Bigger, F***k it Up! Superb.' Wish they were all that much fun."
Well, it might have been fun to do, but it's certainly not fun to listen to - at least to my ear. It might well push all the right buttons on film, but it's all very formulaic and boring to listen to on CD.
I've been listening to Murphy's music for a while now, in the constant hope that my fellow countryman will come up with something memorable and lasting, something to show that he really deserves to be getting these assignments ahead of so many fine veteran Hollywood composers, seemingly now out of the loop for some reason; not to mention the many talented composers working on these shores who perhaps would welcome a move into Hollywood movies.
Sadly, I am still waiting.
If this kind of stuff does it for you, you can obtain your copy of the CD from www.lalalandrecords.com/Armored.html, where you can first sample some tracks if you're not sure. As for me, I just wish I could have that 41 minutes of my life back again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home