ScreenSounds

Dedicated to reviews and news of music for film, TV and games

Thursday, January 22, 2009

I'M STILL ALIVE - HONEST!

It's just that I have had to spend some time reorganising my ever growing music collection. I think I finally cracked it today so, fingers crossed, I should have some reviews for you over the next few days.

In the meantime, in case you weren't aware of it, it's awards time, and A.R. Rahman has already taken the Golden Globe for his music for Danny Boyle's Slumdog Millionaire. What's more, he's also in line for both BAFTA and Academy Awards.

The other BAFTA nominees are Alexandre Desplat for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button; Thomas Newman for WALL-E; Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard for The Dark Knight; and the probable winner, Benny and Bjorn of ABBA for Mamma Mia! Don't get me wrong, I love ABBA, but this probable winner shouldn't be in the same category as the others.

The Academy Award nominations were announced today, and alongside Desplat, Newman and Rahman, the other nominees are Danny Elfman for Milk and James Newton Howard, not for The Dark Knight, but for all his own work on Defiance.

Final piece of news, and I have to sadly report the passing of composer Angela Morley, on January 14th, at the age of 84. Morley of course began her life as a he, Wally Stott, whose best known work was for the radio comedy classic The goon Show. After the sex change, Morley was probably best known for her music to Watership Down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home